Tomland Morlock card variations, am I missing any?

Started by Roback, December 04, 2007, 05:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poseablemonster

The carded mummy has been in his collection for a long time.  I'd guess at least 10 years, probably longer.  A friend of his found it at a thrift store in Florida for like $5 and I believe he paid $10!  So there you go...loose tomland mummy goes for over a grand and carded one goes for...well, ten bucks. ;D

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: raycastile on December 05, 2007, 07:09:58 PM
I didn't even see the carded Fly on ebay.  When did that happen and how much did it sell for?

Well, there's the rub.  It started 19 Nov 2005 at $24.99 and closed Nov-22-05, with the dreaded "The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale".  The interesting part is that the seller is based in Hong Kong.

I was watching it, and erstwhile monster collector Dave Villard (with whom I corresponded a bit more at the time as we were trading Bandai Horror World figures) had bid $125 on it (visible once the bids were canceled).  I'd already emailed the seller asking all the questions (any more/ others, pix of the back, manufacturer's info, how he came about it, that I was in the market for a pallet full of 'em, etc.) to no response. When the auction was canceled I re-messaged him stating I had planned to bid $1000 (which at the time would probably have been in the running) and asking if he planned to relist or if it had sold, and if it had, at what price.  Nothing.  His history showed only watches and lighters sold before that, and with the exception of some die-cast Space 1999 items sold at the same time, it has been only watches and lighters since.   Every once in a while I'll e-mail and ask about monsters, cuz I'm vindictive and because he's listed as a favorite seller, so I get an e-mail of his listings with about 12 other sellers.

BTW, I know all of this because I tended to save auctions as html files then, not just because I'm insane.  Note I'm not stating I'm not insane, just that it does not take the form of some sort of ultra detailed recall ability. ;D

Auction text, just for fun.  Note the bit about it being the "first movie picture card", one of the points I'd asked for clarity on.

VINTAGE FAMOUS MONSTERS THE FLY 8" ACTION FIGURE 1980

VINTAGE THE FLY FAMOUS MONSTERS 8" DRESS ACTION FIGURE BY OF LEGEND TM, FULLY JOINTED MONSTER, GLOWS IN THE DARK, 1980 MADE IN HONG KONG, MINT AND SEAL ON THE COLORFUL FIRST MOVIE PICTURE CARD, BUBBLE STILL CLEAR AND IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, PLEASE SEE THE PICTURES, WHAT YOU SEE AND WHAT YOU GET, IF ANY QUESTION, ASK BEFORE YOU BID, SERIOUS BIDDER ONLY.

Best,

Shannon
Shannon aka monsieurmonkey on UMA Y!

raycastile

Thanks for the information.  So the photo of the carded Fly that is floating around originally came from that auction?  I thought it was in a known collection.

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on December 06, 2007, 01:46:16 AM
Well, there's the rub.  It started 19 Nov 2005 at $24.99 and closed Nov-22-05, with the dreaded "The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale".  The interesting part is that the seller is based in Hong Kong.

I was watching it, and erstwhile monster collector Dave Villard (with whom I corresponded a bit more at the time as we were trading Bandai Horror World figures) had bid $125 on it (visible once the bids were canceled).  I'd already emailed the seller asking all the questions (any more/ others, pix of the back, manufacturer's info, how he came about it, that I was in the market for a pallet full of 'em, etc.) to no response. When the auction was canceled I re-messaged him stating I had planned to bid $1000 (which at the time would probably have been in the running) and asking if he planned to relist or if it had sold, and if it had, at what price.  Nothing.  His history showed only watches and lighters sold before that, and with the exception of some die-cast Space 1999 items sold at the same time, it has been only watches and lighters since.   Every once in a while I'll e-mail and ask about monsters, cuz I'm vindictive and because he's listed as a favorite seller, so I get an e-mail of his listings with about 12 other sellers.

BTW, I know all of this because I tended to save auctions as html files then, not just because I'm insane.  Note I'm not stating I'm not insane, just that it does not take the form of some sort of ultra detailed recall ability. ;D

Auction text, just for fun.  Note the bit about it being the "first movie picture card", one of the points I'd asked for clarity on.

VINTAGE FAMOUS MONSTERS THE FLY 8" ACTION FIGURE 1980

VINTAGE THE FLY FAMOUS MONSTERS 8" DRESS ACTION FIGURE BY OF LEGEND TM, FULLY JOINTED MONSTER, GLOWS IN THE DARK, 1980 MADE IN HONG KONG, MINT AND SEAL ON THE COLORFUL FIRST MOVIE PICTURE CARD, BUBBLE STILL CLEAR AND IN EXCELLENT CONDITION, PLEASE SEE THE PICTURES, WHAT YOU SEE AND WHAT YOU GET, IF ANY QUESTION, ASK BEFORE YOU BID, SERIOUS BIDDER ONLY.

Best,

Shannon
Raymond Castile

darkmonkeygod

If these three are they, then yes.  If not, please link up the other photos.  Threw in the Frankenstein & Mummy (from their auctions) for the fun of it.

Makes ya drool, doesn't it?

fmofmpls

Quote from: poseablemonster on December 05, 2007, 08:22:04 PM
The carded mummy has been in his collection for a long time.  I'd guess at least 10 years, probably longer.  A friend of his found it at a thrift store in Florida for like $5 and I believe he paid $10! 

This is the same story that the owner told me. I also spoke with him on the phone a few years ago. An amazing story to be sure. This owner is also a member of the UMA, but I don't think he's too active with the message board. Great thread by the way!
The Famous Monster of Mpls.  Sayer of the law.

Roback

Honestly, I never thought this thread would reveal such fascinating replies when I asked my question. Boy am I glad that I did.
As for the image you posted, my God Shannon, that is one of the most beautiful cards that I've ever seen. While similar to the non glow card as far as background art is concerned, the black overall coloring, green glow eyes along with " The Fly " in green makes for one hell of a card. As for the condition, that's gotta be perfect in every way. If that card can only talk. I would love to who the original owner was, where it was bought and how it made its way to its present location. Whenever I land an elusive piece I always ask the seller a number of these types of questions in an attempt to learn a bit about its history. Because of these questions, I've learned some fascinating information about where the item was before arriving in my hands. I find that it adds a another dimension to the item which is why I have a hard time parting with any of my collectibles.    Seriously Shannon, thanks again for posting this along with everybody else who chimed in. You made my day!
Robert Acquarulo

fmofmpls

Guys .. may I add more mystery and intrigue to this thread? How many of you remember the discussion a few years back at the Yahoo group about the Troubador Press Monster Gallery coloring book and it's remarkable similarity with the FMOL artwork? The similarities are most deserving of scrutiny and research, and may very well allow an inside glimpse of what Tomland had:

1) either created and designed for their figure's cards  .. OR

2) blatantly stole, or purchased, for use on their figure's cards.

While the color book itself is dated 1983, the actual copyright inside the book is dated 1973. This meaning that the color book itself could be a re-release of older artwork? And thereby allowing for the use of this artwork on the 70s figures.

I submit the following evidence for your review:

Here is a pic of the Fly figure (courtesy of Gallery Of Monster Toys) -

Pretty damn close, but not exact. Perhaps Tomland had toned down the art for more efficient printing purposes?

And now the Morlock:

The Morlock artwork is not as close in resemblance to the card's art as is the Fly.

If any of this is to be believed at all, then is there any merit in suggesting that the Frankenstein art taken from this very same color book could have been the line art also used on this elusive figure's card?  I personally believe there is some connection somewhere down the line between this color book art and what Tomland (Combex) had decided upon during preliminary design discussions. I also believe in UFOs, Bigfoot, Nessie, and life beyond Yahoo groups.

BTW, if anyone is interested in seeing more of this color book's artwork, just say so and I can post additional pics.

poseablemonster

Based on the artwork that we know is on the Tomland Mummy figure's cardback, I'd say Tomland based it on the artwork from the Lincoln Monster boxes.  The heads are probably recasts of the Lincoln monsters in glow plastic as well. 
Is there a Mummy illustration in that coloring book?

fmofmpls

Quote from: poseablemonster on December 06, 2007, 12:50:21 PM
Is there a Mummy illustration in that coloring book?

Yes, there is Andy. And I suppose your right on the Lincoln connection. Hard to argue about that.

Here is the FMOL Mummy on the card. Wolf Man is in the way. Sorry.

Here is the Mummy art from the color book. Appears to be no connection whatsoever. I don't think I believe in UFOs, Bigfoot, or Nessie anymore either.

raycastile

I've never noticed the subtle differences between the coloring book and the FMOL card artwork.  I always assumed they were an exact match.  I thought Tomland probably ripped off the book's art, just like they ripped off the licensed character of the Fly.  But no, they've added and deleted details, repositioned backgrounds, altered facial expressions.  But the book and the cards are obviously derived from the same source.  So which came first?  Or is there something that predates both?

Quote from: fmofmpls on December 06, 2007, 12:17:05 PM
Guys .. may I add more mystery and intrigue to this thread? How many of you remember the discussion a few years back at the Yahoo group about the Troubador Press Monster Gallery coloring book and it's remarkable similarity with the FMOL artwork? The similarities are most deserving of scrutiny and research, and may very well allow an inside glimpse of what Tomland had:

1) either created and designed for their figure's cards  .. OR

2) blatantly stole, or purchased, for use on their figure's cards.

While the color book itself is dated 1983, the actual copyright inside the book is dated 1973. This meaning that the color book itself could be a re-release of older artwork? And thereby allowing for the use of this artwork on the 70s figures.

I submit the following evidence for your review:

Here is a pic of the Fly figure (courtesy of Gallery Of Monster Toys) -

Pretty damn close, but not exact. Perhaps Tomland had toned down the art for more efficient printing purposes?

And now the Morlock:

The Morlock artwork is not as close in resemblance to the card's art as is the Fly.

If any of this is to be believed at all, then is there any merit in suggesting that the Frankenstein art taken from this very same color book could have been the line art also used on this elusive figure's card?  I personally believe there is some connection somewhere down the line between this color book art and what Tomland (Combex) had decided upon during preliminary design discussions. I also believe in UFOs, Bigfoot, Nessie, and life beyond Yahoo groups.

BTW, if anyone is interested in seeing more of this color book's artwork, just say so and I can post additional pics.
Raymond Castile

raycastile

We should also note that there is a connection between the artwork and the toys themselves.  This is especially evident in the hands.  Look at the Fly artwork with that unmistakable Tomland "thumbs up" hand.  The Morlock's plastic hands also look just like the artwork.  The fingers are positioned the same.
Raymond Castile

Roback

Great stuff guys. I've been scoping out one of those coloring books for the longest. The minute that I saw that Lincoln Mummy the first thing that I did was to email Ray to note the similarities to Lincoln Internationals Mummy. I'm also in agreement about the hands. It'd be hard to argue against it. I wonder what did come first, the coloring book or the cards? I love threads like these.
Robert Acquarulo

raycastile

It's one thing to rip off artwork.  But to base your sculpts on the artwork, or vice versa, that suggests a more intimate connection.  I've heard that Combex produced a lot of paper products.  Obviously, Tomland and Combex are closely affiliated, if not the same company.  Maybe Combex had something to do with producing that coloring book.  I've got a copy of the book, and it doesn't say Combex or Tomland anywhere.

Quote from: Roback on December 06, 2007, 03:02:31 PM
Great stuff guys. I've been scoping out one of those coloring books for the longest. The minute that I saw that Lincoln Mummy the first thing that I did was to email Ray to note the similarities to Lincoln Internationals Mummy. I'm also in agreement about the hands. It'd be hard to argue against it. I wonder what did come first, the coloring book or the cards? I love threads like these.
Raymond Castile

darkmonkeygod

Quote from: raycastile on December 05, 2007, 07:08:44 PM
Certainly the glow card art for the Fly is superior to the first series version.

I'm a pretty big fan of Savee's illo's, even bastardized, and while the airbrushed close up of the glow cards is beautiful, I'm a bigger fan of the dirty trace versions on the non glow.  In many ways these represent the change of a age.  FMOL first appeared in the '70s, and have that sensibility to them.  The FMOL Glow were released in (or at least copyrighted to) 1980, and have much more of a '80s look:  full-bleed unframed graphics, modeled color and design which interacts with the figure by highlighting it.  Both the illustrations of the Mummy and, with greater dynamism, the Fly lead your eye directly to the figure, at once presenting it and bowing to it.  I can't think of another series which has such reverent to the object artwork.   

The Glow series are certainly designed higher.

sts

raycastile

The Lincoln card artwork interacted with the figures about five years before the glow FMOL.

Quote from: darkmonkeygod on December 15, 2007, 09:31:24 AM
I'm a pretty big fan of Savee's illo's, even bastardized, and while the airbrushed close up of the glow cards is beautiful, I'm a bigger fan of the dirty trace versions on the non glow.  In many ways these represent the change of a age.  FMOL first appeared in the '70s, and have that sensibility to them.  The FMOL Glow were released in (or at least copyrighted to) 1980, and have much more of a '80s look:  full-bleed unframed graphics, modeled color and design which interacts with the figure by highlighting it.  Both the illustrations of the Mummy and, with greater dynamism, the Fly lead your eye directly to the figure, at once presenting it and bowing to it.  I can't think of another series which has such reverent to the object artwork.   

The Glow series are certainly designed higher.

sts
Raymond Castile